The concept of security is not absolute.
There is no way anything is ever 100% secure.
Today we are going to talk about understanding the art of cybersecurity.
Imagine your home, you have a front door, a lock, and an alarm system. You put the sticker on your front glass and the sign on your lawn that your home is being monitored by an alarm company. All the precautions you’ve taken might deter a casual criminal, but not a sophisticated one.
The same thing goes for your digital home. You can mitigate the casual attacker but the sophisticated and more advanced that have endless time and funds, will continue attempting the attack until they are successful.
The CIA Triad is a security model that has been developed to help business owners think about the various parts of IT security. Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability are at the core of everything cybersecurity.
What are ways that you can keep the confidentiality of your data?
By using – data encryption, two-factor authentication, and biometric verification.
Integrity involves maintaining the consistency, accuracy, and trustworthiness of data over its entire life cycle.
And lastly availability. The information needs to be readily available to authorized parties. It doesn’t matter what type of business you own, or the size of your business. All businesses are susceptible to cyberattacks.
How can you protect your business today?
The average small business cannot afford to have a robust IT team in house. Here are some tips to help keep your business safe:
- Keep your operating systems updated and regularly patched.
- Have a firewall plus software that opposes virus, spyware and phishing attacks.
- Keep all system software updated.
- Encrypt your wireless network.
- Block access to restricted sites with Internet filters to prevent employees and hackers from uploading data to storage clouds.
- Remove / disable USB ports so that malicious data can’t be downloaded.
- Use filtering that controls access to data.
- Implement strict password policies.
Cyber liability insurance can help you be prepared if your business was ever to suffer a cyber attack. At The Bunker, we can help you move from danger to safe place, starting with your cyber insurance To schedule time with Ciara, click here!